The Youth Medallion Program encourages youth riders to learn and become proficient showing in canter classes. Youth Medallion classes are offered in two divisions, performance and pleasure, at various horse shows throughout the year. Horse Shows that offer Youth Medallion classes will receive complimentary ribbons (first through fifth) and a medallion for the class. They will be reimbursed for the standard prize money offered for the class ($75 for first, $50 for second, $40 for third, $30 for fourth, and $20 for fifth). There is no charge for a show to participate in the program and offer Youth Medallion classes.
In order to qualify for the program, riders must be 17 years of age and younger (as of January 1) and be youth members of TWHBEA. Other than membership, there is no other cost to participate. Each rider accumulates points for placing and participating in Youth Medallion classes and a $500 college scholarship will be awarded in each division to the rider accumulating the most points for the current year. (Note: Points follow the rider, not the horse. Therefore, riders are not required to show the same horse throughout the season.)
Guidelines for the Youth Medallion Classes are:
- Open to all youth riders, age 17 and under (age as of January 1).
- Ownership of the horse is not required. Stallions are not allowed.
- Two Medallion classes may be offered. Youth Medallion Performance and Youth Medallion Pleasure. In both classes, horses should perform all three gaits, flat walk, running walk and canter. Show managers may choose to offer one or both classes.
- Horses entered in either of these classes should not be charged an entry fee.
- Horses entered in either of these classes at SHOW affiliated horse shows will be charged a $5 inspection fee.
- Premiums for both Youth Medallion classes will be: $75, $50, $40, $30, $20 (to be reimbursed by TWHBEA)