Registry FAQs

Q: Do I have to be a member to transact business with the TWHBEA?

A: No, but you will save money! Additionally, membership includes a subscription to the Voice of the Tennessee Walking Horse™ magazine, plus some benefits not available to nonmembers.

Q: I recently purchased my first Tennessee Walking Horse. How do I transfer the registration into my name?

A: In order to transfer a registered Tennessee Walking Horse, you must send the original certificate of registration and transfer form, both signed by the last recorded owner/owners along with the proper fees. The transfer fee is determined by the date of purchase and membership status.

Q: I have a half (or part) Tennessee Walking Horse, can I register it with your association?

A: No. Only animals out of TWHBEA registered and parentage verified sire and dam are eligible for registration with TWHBEA.

Q: How do I check on the availability of a name of my foal?

A: Name search is offered through the premium IPeds™ program, or you may call customer service and have a name checked.

[return to top of document]



Care and Training FAQs

Q: What makes TWHs smooth?

A: The product of selective breeding, TWHs perform a four-beat gait as opposed to a two-beat diagonal gait such as the trot. The horse's back legs slide underneath the animal, serving as a shock absorber. This unique overstriding of the back legs provide a gliding sensation for the rider.

Q: Do all TWHs wear Pads?

A: No, only the high-stepping performance horse wears pads and action devices. It has been estimated that about 5% of all TWHs are shown in this fashion. The majority of the breed is made up of breeding stallions and broodmares, using horses such as police horses or horses that work on ranches and pleasure type animals used for family fun.

Q: Are there any books or videos available to help me care for and train my Tennessee Walking Horse?

A: The TWHBEA gift shop has a three part series of educational and instructional videos produced by the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders' and Exhibitors' Association. They cover subjects such as halter training, round-pen techniques, gait recognition, bitting, collection, shoeing and grooming procedures. To purchase any of these videos, visit our on-line gift shop.

Q: How do I smooth-out my pacey horse?

A: Whether or not the horse paces depends on the horses' gait, conformation, the rider's ability, shoeing, etc. Many times the rider simply rides the horse past the natural running walk into the pace.

Q: What is the optimal hoof angle for my Tennessee Walking Horse?

A: This depends on the horse's conformation, ability, gait. etc. See our suggested hoof angles for pleasure horses. Click here for shoeing chart.

Q: What is the best bit to use with my Tennessee Walking Horse?

A: It depends on what you want to do with the horse; recreational riding, reining, jumping, barrel racing, showing, etc. A Tennessee Walking Horse requires no special bit. A bit that is used commonly on trail riding walking horses is the Tom Thumb with a 6 to 8 inch shank.

Q: Do Tennessee Walking Horses canter?

A: Yes. The Tennessee Walking Horse's canter is performed in much the same way as other breeds, but the walking horse seems to have a more relaxed way of performing this gait. The Walking Horse's canter lifts the front end giving an easy rise and fall motion much like rocking chair. This is often referred to as the "rocking-chair" gait.

Q: Can a Tennessee Walking Horse be used for jumping/dressage/barrel racing?

A: Yes! Versatility is one of the great benefits of owning a Tennessee Walking Horse. Click here to see how you can get involved in the TWHBEA Versatility Program.

[return to top of document]



Showing FAQs

Q: Are there any age requirements to enter a typical walking horse class?

A: Most every walking horse show publicizes a class list or premium list. Check the class you're interested in for the age requirements. Most shows include youth classes as well as amateur classes, and a very large majority of these will specify the age groups on the class list. If there is ever a question, many show managers love to hear from potential exhibitors, and will be happy to clarify the situation. Example: Amateur Youth Riders on Walking Mares and Geldings, Riders 11 and Under

Q: Is it necessary for my walking horse to be officially registered in order for me to be able to show?

A: You will have to supply the horse's official name and registration number to show management upon entering.

Q: Are there other ways to support my local show other than bringing my horse to show?

A: Absolutely. One of the easiest yet best ways to support your local horse show is merely to go; pay an admission; and visit the concession vendors as much as possible. Purchase an official program, or contribute to any of the other auxiliary vending the show may offer. All of these commodities make the show bottom-line dollars, and that's why the show is in business. Of course, a more direct way is to actually assist show management in the organization and promotion of such a show. Likewise, credible and outgoing people are always needed to solicit businesses for advertising and sponsorship dollars. There are many ways of contributing to the successes of walking horse shows. Do what is in the best interests of your local show, but do support them as much as you possibly can.

[return to top of document]



Voice™ Magazine FAQs

Q: How many issues are there each year?

A: The Voice™ is published six times a year.

Q: What is the advertising deadline for each issue?

A: Advertising Deadlines PDF

Q: What does it cost to advertise?

A: The Voice™ magazine has varied prices for members of TWHBEA and non-members based on size, color, and frequency. Please refer to the advertising rate section on this site.

Q: How do I subscribe?

A: You have two choices: For $75 a year you can become a member of TWHBEA and receive a complimentary subscription. Otherwise, subscriptions can be purchased for $36 per year in the U.S.A. Call 931-359-0593. Subscriptions must be pre-paid by check or credit card. Click here to join or subscribe now!

[return to top of document]




Q: What is iPeds™?

A: TWHBEA’s member-only Internet Pedigree Program with access to up-to-date registry and show information.

Q: How do I find my membership number to register for iPeds™?

A: Your membership number is on your TWHBEA membership card. If you do not have your card you can call our office to find out this information.

Q: How do I find my password?

A:Your password is emailed to you when you register for iPeds™. Should you lose your password, you can click on the "Forgot Password?" link on the iPeds™ Login Form page. Enter your membership account number, and your password will be emailed to you.

Q:What is the difference between standard access and premium access?

A: Standard access is free to all members.  With standard access a member can see their personal information, a list of their own horses and use iPeds™ Quick Search to get basic information on any horse in the registry. Premium access is available by subscription.  With premium access you can look up complete pedigrees, production records, owner history, DNA and blood-typing information and show records on any horse.  Using premium access iPeds™ Detail Search you can find horses by using different criteria such as foaling date, color, sex, sire, dam, etc.  Premium users can also build a pedigree using the sire and dam of their choice.

Q:I have upgraded to premium access, but it looks the same as the standard access. Will I be able to use the premium access?

A: After logging on to iPeds™ the first screen that both standard and premium users will see is their personal information which includes whether or not they have Premium access and, if they do, when it will expire.  If the profile shows your Current Access as Premium you will be able to use all of its features.

Q: Why aren’t all of the horses I have owned in my iPeds™ My Horses list?

A: The horses listed are for the membership number you currently have. You may have had other member numbers in the past.  In order to get all of the horses you have owned into your My Horses list contact TWHBEA for assistance.

Q: How do I find show records and production information on horses?

A: Information on show records and production information is only available through premium access. Links on the premium access iPeds™ Horse Information screen will take you to a horse’s show records and production information.

Q: Can I get the address of an owner of a horse on IPEDS™?

A: Yes, the address is available to premium users in a horse’s ownership history unless that person has chosen not to share that information.

Q: I used to be able to view information through the premium access, but now I only have the standard access. Why?

A: Your iPeds™ premium subscription has probably expired. You will still be able to use standard access if your TWHBEA membership is current, but you will have to renew your iPeds™ subscription to use premium access.  Reminders that your subscription is about to expire will be sent by e-mail to the e-mail address you have on file with TWHBEA.  You can verify we have your current e-mail address by logging onto iPeds™ and checking your personal information.

Q: I know my iPeds™ premium membership is current, but I cannot login to iPeds™. Why?

A: If your TWHBEA membership has lapsed, you will not be able to access iPeds™, whether you have standard or premium access. You will need to renew your TWHBEA membership in order to continue using the iPeds™ program.

Q: I am having some problems with iPEDS that I would like to let TWHBEA know about.  How do I do that?

A: Send a note to Please provide detailed information on the problem you encountered.  For example, provide us with a list of the entries you made and the screens that you viewed that led up to the problem.

Q. What do I do if I find something wrong in IPEDS?

A. Use the chart below to get the information corrected.

Incorrect Data
What The Owner Needs To Do What TWHBEA Will Do
A gelding is still recorded as a stallion Send in his papers plus the bill/certificate from the vet showing that the horse was gelded.  Papers will be stamped, the information in computer will be updated, and all paperwork be sent back to owner. Owner will get a $10 credit on account.
A horse has died but is still shown as being alive Send the registration papers to TWHBEA and notify them that the horse has died.
NOTE: Papers can be returned if requested.
The information in the computer will be updated. A notation will be made on the registration papers. If requested, the papers will be returned to the owner.
Owner will get a $10 credit on account.
The horse’s color is wrong and the horse is less than 2 years old Submit the registration papers, a notification of what the correct color is, and a statement from the breeder. New papers will be issued free of charge. The information in the computer will be updated.
TWHBEAs Color and Marking Brochure provides guidance on selecting the correct color.
The horse’s color is wrong and the horse is over 2 years old Submit the registration papers, a notification of what the correct color is, and 4 photographs (both sides, back and front) showing the correct horses color to TWHBEA. If the horse has been genetically tested for color, a copy of the results should be included.
If the color is questionable even with pictures genetic testing by an approved lab may be required if you have not already had that done.
New papers will be issued. See the Fee Schedule for associated costs. The information in the computer will be updated.
TWHBEAs Color and Marking Brochure provides guidance on selecting the correct color.
The horse’s markings are wrong. Registration papers, a written description of the markings, and photographs showing those markings must be submitted to TWHBEA. New papers will be issued. See the Fee Schedule for associated costs.  The information in the computer will be updated.
The horse has a microchip but it isn’t recorded. Only microchips purchased from  TWHBEA are entered in the system. The information in the computer will be updated.
The owner is wrong If the papers were transferred already, the current owner will need to contact TWHBEA to make the correction.
If the papers have not been transferred, the transfer of ownership paperwork and fees will need to be sent to TWHBEA.
Paperwork and computer information will be updated. See the Fee Schedule for associated costs.
Show results are missing / incorrect Provide a copy of show results from HIO or previously published show results from national publication. Show records will be updated.
Horses I owned previously are not listed Contact TWHBEA to ensure that any different membership numbers you had previously are assigned to your name. Ownership records will be updated


[return to top of document]


Registry FAQs

Care and Training FAQs

Showing FAQs

Voice™ Magazine FAQs